Sunday, July 20, 2008

Day 9: Surf & Turf


I rose at 5am and was on the road by 5:15. Destination: Springbrook National Park and Natural Bridge. After leaving the main drag of Surfers Paradise, I didn't pass a single car for more than 2 hours. But I passed a few dozen more 'roo and at Natural Bridge I saw what looked like a cross among a chicken, a wild turkey, and a peacock. You'll have to see the photos. I didn't have any intention of hiking to the bridge, since a few of the students, Dr. Z, and I had plans to take a surf lesson at 10am. So I drove through, stopped periodically taking photos, and backtracked my way into town to refill with gas (very fuel efficient) and return my car keys. I hated to see the little car go, but I know now that I can drive on the left. And if I decide to hire a campervan in NZ, I will enjoy driving it!

I was running late, and the taxi was waiting for the group. Instead, I agree to meet them at the beach. I ran upstairs, changed quickly into my swim gear and Wal-mart crocs, grabbed a towel, and started the long jog to the beach. Surprisingly, I didn't tire, and I didn't have a problem running in crocs--Wal-mart brand or otherwise. I arrived just in time, was given a rash guard, and signed the waiver. Evidently, anything fun you do in Australia also requires a waiver. We learned the basics about maneuvering a board in the water, what to do, what not to do, and then we were off. It was an exhausting 2 hours, but well worth it! We purchased photos of the "ordeal" so others could laugh at us, too.



A quick dip in the hotel pool and saltwater lagoon washed away the chaffing feeling of sand in our shorts. And now we've all gone our different ways for our last evening in Surfers Paradise. We'll leave in the morning for Sydney in the wake of World Youth Day and the Pope's visit. I hope everyone has gone home before we arrive (fat chance).

As a side note, the students were the hit of the conference, and Dr. Z was the hero for being the only prof who brought students. The students' presentation went very well, and other attendees told me it was among the best at the conference. I wasn't part of the conference, so I didn't get to see it, but I'm told they videotaped it! Yea, HPU publicity stuff that I didn't have to compile or write!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am lovin' reading your blog! It sounds like you guys are having a great time!

Kelly said...

Sam, I heard you're working in Richmond's building. Very cool! I'll have to visit when I get back. A little further than just down the hall now. :(