Thursday, July 17, 2008

Days 1 - 2: LA and Camp LaJolla

My trip started off on an incredible note as my shuttle to the airport didn't show up at 4:45am. Instead, I loaded my luggage into my car and drove quickly. On less than an hour of sleep, it probably wasn't a great idea, but you gotta do... I made arrangements with good friend Chris to pick up my spare set of keys and bring my car back to the house. (Thank you, Chris!) That's much better than paying for long-term parking for 26 days.

The flight left a few minutes late since the electrical system for running the air conditioner (and the airplane engine starter) wasn't working. We all agreed that was worth turning around to get fixed. After a short delay, I was on my way! No snags other than having to run through the Cincinnati airport to catch my connection, but I made it.

I arrived in Los Angeles about 10am, rented a car, and hit the road. Some people say that driving in Los Angeles is scary, but I strongly disagree. It's very similar to any other highway, except the roads are in worse condition and most drivers don't tailgate, so there's none of that riding the brake or worse, slamming on the brakes seconds before hitting the car just inches ahead. It was quite pleasant, even during heavy traffic, so I pointed northwest and drove the Pacific Coast Highway through Malibu into the ___ National Park. (I'll complete the blanks as I remember the names. I'm on information overload.)

Then a long drive past Legoland, where they wouldn't let me run in and buy a shirt for my nephew. Sorry, Clay. I finally arrived in San Diego and on Coronado Island, only to discover that Camp LaJolla is not on Coronado Island, just the office. So the next morning, after 20 minutes trying to find my way off the island, passing Hotel Del Coronado at least 4 times, and seeing a woman in a pristine blue and white dress and matching hat as big as a UFO eat the pavement on the steps of the Coronado Island Republican Headquarters (not so pristine anymore). Anyway, I drove to the LaJolla village exit. Makes sense that Camp LaJolla is in LaJolla! The visit went well, and I got to catch up and talk HPU with some folks who hadn't been there in awhile: Jessie formerly of ResLife, Erryn, Lauren, and Meg MaHONey. Mary Beth was there, too, but I didn't see her.

After a short sight-seeing trip through Hollywood and by Dodger Stadium, I met the HPU students and Dr. Zarick at LAX for dinner and a long wait to catch our flight to Sydney. Leave time: 11:50pm on July 14.

No comments: