Note: Names have been changed to protect the humiliated.
I set off walking down the road to see what Surfers Paradise had to offer and didn't get far before I realized that I was hungry. For brunch, stopped at a small cafe on the side of the walk in the CBD (central business district). Fix Espresso had a variety of items, but a ham and cheese croissant caught my attention. Here we go, my first purchase in Australia (other than an $11 purchase of milk, bananas, and apples). I ordered. No problem. Then she asked me if I wanted it "squished in the thing (gesturing to the grill behind her) or..." as her gaze went to the microwave. I wish now that I wouldn't have answered so quickly, so I could have heard what she called the microwave. Now, I'll never know. The next morning the Fix Espresso was closed, long-term but temporary, due to construction on the front of the building.
Two dinner events were planned in conjunction with the sport management conference. One of which I agree to attend: the Australian Outback Spectactular. Anyone who has ever been to the Dixie Stampede (Pigeon Forge, TN; Myrtle Beach, SC; and others) ore really bad dinner theatre will understand my disappointment. I had imagined perhaps a cheesy "outback barbie" with jokes and performances by local artists, but never did I expect horses, cattle, sheep, and a character so corny that I wanted to strangle myself every time he made an incredibly predictable comment. However, my pain wasn't nearly as intense as "Jody" who not only wasn't having the good time that others were, but she also refused to wear the "genuine outback hat" provided as we entered the venue. All in all, it was a learning experience. Puffy dessert good, entertainment bad. Next time, just say no thanks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment