Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Day 11: Charlie Boorman!!

Jim Dunham, this is for you...
For anyone who has been following the Long Way Round and Long Way Down cross-country motorcycle escapades of Charlie Boorman and Ewan McGregor, then you may or may not know that while Ewan is in the States filming a new movie, Charlie continued the series of adventures by traveling Ireland through Indonesia, then caught a boat ride into Australia. I couldn't have asked for better timing to be in Sydney, since Charlie's ride ended in Sydney today. I heard it on the news today that he was preparing to leave for the last 45 minute journey into Sydney, leaving 30 minutes later. I did the math and guessed that he would be arriving about the same time we were on our way to the Sydney Opera House and wouldn't it be cool if...

Then I forgot about it.

Our group was walking through the Botanical Gardens just southeast of the Opera House, taking photos like nobody's business. When we reached the harbour, the students went left towards the Opera House and I went right looking for a better photo angle. I got to a point on the sidewalk where someone asked me to stay behind the makeshift barrier. I maneauvered for my perfect shot and got it. As I was turning to head back to the Opera House for the tour, I noticed that the VIPs behind the barrier had motorcycle helmets sitting on the ground in front of them. A memory flashed back to me. No, it couldn't be! But if Charlie was coming to Sydney, where better to go than to a beautiful view of the Harbour Bridge and Opera House in the background. Less than 5 minutes later, I found myself standing almost alone as Charlie Boorman and others cruised into the park and down to the waterside, right in front of me. Camera at the ready, I got incredible video footage and still photos. I can't wait to upload, and I can't wait to get back to High Point to relay the complete story to my good friend, Jim, who has been following the Boorman/McGregor adventures with me for the past 2 years!

No comments: