The flight was quick as was lunch (Part 1: ham & cheese panini on the plane; Part 2: whatever we wanted from the Sydney airport). I've already pointed out the egg on burger scheme, but I must note that their milkshakes taste like raw egg, too.
Running out of internet time. I'll touch on Sydney Cricket Ground and Aussie Stadium tour next time...
The Sydney Cricket Ground was astounding with its old traditions and way of making every other sports venue seem impersonal and overrated. From the simplicity of the "changing rooms" to the flaky paint, every bit of the Ground added character and prestige to the sport and those who play and watch it.
Then to Aussie Stadium, next door to the Cricket Ground, where Aussie rules football is played. I was happy to stand beneath the goal post, as Aussie football has become my favorite sport. Yes, even more so than Rugby Union and Rugby League. With all three sports, the athletes hit one another with such force and precision as to pop a ball loose, yet the protection they wear is no more than a tight jersey, short shorts, and a pair of cleats. Very seldom do they dispute an official's call, although one rugby official was "reassigned" after his supervisor and many others agreed that a call was inexcusably incorrect. Professional (and college) athletes in the U.S. could learn a few things from the prowess and composure these men demonstrate each week on the pitch.
No comments:
Post a Comment