Friday, July 25, 2008

Day 14: Leaving Sydney

After breakfast this morning, we packed our stuff and prepared to go our separate ways. Bob, our driver and newest good friend, dropped the group off at the international Qantas terminal to catch their 1:20pm flight back to LAX then on to Charlotte. They should be back in High Point by midnight Friday night Eastern time.

Bob dropped me at the domestic Qantas terminal for my 1:25pm flight to Cairns for a few days of R&R. I gave him the tip that we had been accumulating all week, and he thanked me (big hug and a kiss on the cheek with an open invitation to look him up the next time any of us visit Sydney again). He had seen and done a lot of cool things in his time, and his stories kept us all entertained!

I arrived on time to the Cairns airport, which looked more like an empty airplane hanger than an airport, although I read of improvements that were on the way. For such a primitive airport, I was hoping for an easy-going town with lots of character. So far, I'm disappointed.

There's a Hogs Breath Saloon a block away from my hostel and all the character(s) of party avenue at MTV spring break. Beer specials at the bar downstairs are announced over a PA system to be sure and wake anyone who might be sleeping. The TV room is a popular place, and I'm hoping for a good crowd to watch tomorrow's Wallabies vs. All Blacks rugby match on TV. The one roommate I've seen so far looks like she is 12 years old, and she may be for all I know. I miss my teen and 20-something WV friends who don't make me so conscious of the age difference!

At 9:00am tomorrow I'll be picked up for Day 1 of 4 of my scuba lesson (medical exam + pool training). Day 2 will also be in the pool. Then Days 3 and 4 will be spent on the dive boat on the Great Barrier Reef. I'm sure that will make all of this generation gapping worth it.

No comments: