Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Day 25: Waitomo Caves

With nothing else on my agenda, I decided to make a hail-mary long drive to Waitomo to see the glowworm caves. I wondered if the drenching rains had affected the level of water in the caves, but instead of checking online, I was up for a drive anyway, so I went not knowing what I would find.

It was (almost) a rain-free day with lots of sunshine! I drove through Hamilton and on to Otororanga (sp?) where I bought a Koru ceramic that looks like my necklace.

Once at the caves, I saw they were indeed flooded. I hadn't planned to go black rafting, so I wasn't that disappointed. Instead, I turned for home (Auckland) and drove back.

Patricia, Chari (from Thailand), and I went to Circus Circus for dinner and coffee/tea. Chari is out of her country for the first time, and she has been working on her English by watching American movies... The Lion King, 13 Going on 30, Shrek, etc. I don't know how well it's going, but she and I will probably stay in touch. A few other backpackers found out that I was an APA format guru, and I've been answering dozens of questions about essay writing in English and use of tense when citing. I miss work!

No comments: